Also Known as Red Men's Hall
( Talbot County )
| Kilduff's has found a Film Daily
listing for the Oxford Opera House for the years of
1931 to 1937. A reference on Oxford, entitled " A
Port of Entry "
goes into more detail regarding the town movie
house. Around 1910,
an organization known as the Red Men built a large two
story hall on Morris
Street ( near the existing Post Office ) . The
first floor had an auditorium
( seating capacity of about 200 people ) , with
a stage and balcony.
A partial cellar provided dressing rooms when
plays were presented.
Sometimes the hall was used for suppers prepared by
the residents to raise
funds for some civic endeavor. Later the hall was used
as a movie house.
It was one of the few buildings in town with it's own
electric plant but
after the lodge dissolved ,in 1942, the building
was torn down.
( Description given in " A Port of Entry , Oxford Maryland : , by Jane Foster Tucker , May 1968 )
According to the Film Daily Almanac , the Opera house is listed from 1931 to 1937, seating 350.
Any information, photos or stories about the Oxford Opera House would be Greatly appreciated !