.. .

...................................

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................


  In 1857, Baltimore City's Police Department consisted of a Chief, one Deputy, 8 Captains, 8 Lts., 24 Sgts, and 393 men. There were also 4 Superintendents, 42 Lamplighters, and 5 Detectives.  There were two shifts, day shift from 6 AM, to 8 PM, and night shift, from 8 PM to 6 AM. There was also a small reserve force, and if there was a vacancy, that reserve force made sure the shift went out at full force. In the 1880's, Baltimore had four station house, First - Eastern ( 22 day beats, 44 night beats ), Second - Middle < Central > ( 38 day beats, 76 night beats ), Third, Western ( 23 day beats, 46 night beats ) and Fourth - Southern ( 22 day beats - 44 night beats ) . The headquarters  was on North Street  < Calvert Street >, near Fayette, in a building also occupied by the Water Commission. In 1860, the Department was reorganized.

    By 1912, The Baltimore Police Department had 1052 persons employed, from Commissioner to station house matrons. Police headquarters was located in the Main Courthouse downtown, and eight station houses were located around the City, each with a magistrate to dispose of minor crimes. Look below for the status of the older station house that still stand to this day.



Central District & Headquarters

Built around the 1920's . Torn down to make way for the Jones Fallls Expressway. Before this building was constructed, Police Headquarters was housed in the Main courthouse.







..Baltimore Police Headquarters .
..
Photo  - Courtesy of the Baltimore Gas and Electric Collection at the Baltimore Museum of Industry
.
.Photo  - Sunpapers Photo - Tribune Publishing - Joseph A. DiPaola 1972

.Move from the old Headquarters building to the new one in the 1970's. Soon after the move, the old building was torn down to make way for an exit ramp to southbound Interstate 83.

.Baltimore's Central District
.Baltimore's old Central District - Saratoga near Holiday Street
 


Southeastern District  ( Substation for Eastern District )
Toone and 2nd Streets ( Canton )
Actually listed as the Eastern District substation in some guides.
Building still stands, and has been recently renovated, likely to be used as a residence.


.Baltimore's Southeastern Substation
........Southeastern Station house
.Baltimore's Southeastern SubStation

Baltimore's old Eastern Stationhouse
1621 Bank Street

.

.
.
.Baltimore's Old Eastern Police Stationhouse
Eastern District Station house
.Baltimore's Eastern District 1930
.Eastern Station house 1930

Baltimore's old Northeastern Station house
1811 Ashland Avenue

.1950s Baltimore Police Car
   The only building for blocks to be left standing after Hopkins Hospital cleared the area for expansion. The old station house, no longer actually in " Northeastern District proper ", and is almost located in the Southeastern District, as the City expanded leaving tell tell signs of District houses far from where they were to serve. The building is currently used as offices and is great conditioN. Back in the mid- 1800's, the address listed for the Northeastern District was " Durham and Chew Streets ". I can find Durham Street, but I'm not sure what renamed street is Chew Street ( Still working on this  ). Back in 1887, one report stated that the cells at the Northeastern District were the cleanest in the city, and the stationhouse had by far the best gym.  Northeast District was created out of a section of the Central District, when that District got too large, and the new NED included sections of the old Eastern District as well.

Baltimore's Northeastern Police Station
.Northeast Station house






Northeastern Police Substation

5800 block of Belair Road
( " opposite Gatch's Quarry "  )

Northeastern Police Station
                Baltimore Substation
Northeastern Police Substation

Baltimore's old Northern District Station house
3355 Keswick Road
 The station was replaced just a few years ago and the building has been converted into a office complex. This building was also used as the Police Academy at one time. It is  complete with the old stables and two small jail cells in the basement, which were used as lockers for officers right before the building closed.

.
Northern District around the 1890's.
.Baltimore's Northern District Police
.Northern District Police Station - 2007
.....................................................
.
.
Class coming out of the Academy, circa 1950's when Northern was used as the Academy.
Northern District SubStation
Bellona And York Rd

  The small Northern District Police Substation was located in the rear of the Baltimore Fire Department's Engine Company 43 house, at Lyman Avenue and Bellona Avenue. The substation closed down many years ago, and the fire company was relocated a few years ago to the 5600 block of the Alameda. The building has been converted into a residence. From what I understand, the firehouse on Upland Road in Roland Park may have also housed a " sub station " for several years, and there may have been cells in the rear of the firehouse for years.
.Baltimore Northern District Substation
.Northern District Substation

Northwestern Police Station
Pennsylvania Avenue at Lanvale Street

      In 1874, Northwestern District was created out of a section of the old Western District.  When the District , described as a large brick building  first opened , the area was one of the most dangerous in Baltimore City, with " gang " problems known to frequent along Hookstown Road, the old name for Pennsylvania Avenue.  Areas that included coverage from the Northwestern District were the first Johns Hopkins University ( at Howard and Centre ) and the old Academy of Music building on Howard Street and North Baltimore , just to name a few.  The District included Franklin Street, Park Avenue, Boundary Street ( North Avenue ) and the " Western City Limit " at the time. In the summer months, Baltimore's weathier citizens retreated to their over 900 summer homes in the District, and burglaries were always a problem when those homes were vacant during the winter months. Baltimore's old Northwestern station house was torn down years, and the site is now a school playground.



.Northwestern District house 1870s Baltimore
Northwestern Police station : Baltimore Maryland
..........
.
.Photo - Baltimore Sunpapers - Tribune Company - Geo Cook 1959
  It appears the tower section of the old Northwestern was a source of bad luck, in images above you can see a support built around it and in later years, a fire affecting the tower as well.
Northwestern Police Substation
Liberty Hgts and Rogers Avenue
.Baltimore's Northwestern Substation
Northwestern Police Sub station
..Northwestern Police Substation Station
..
Photo - Baltimore Sunpapers - Trubune Company - Robinson - 1955

.

Baltimore's Western District on  Pine Street, just west of downtown. ( Built in 1871 )

 The building is currently used by the University of Maryland  - Medical School Police Department. By 1959, one Directory has it listed as the Bureau of Missing Persons Building for the Police Department, at 214-220 Pine Street. Planning for Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd called for the tearing down of the old station house, but protests kept the building for coming down. Back in the 1880's, the Western covered the area of Howard, Pratt, Lombard, Liberty and Schroeder Streets. At that time, there were 62 men working the District, 48 of them Patrolmen. Besides the residences, they also protected 8 banks, Lexington Market and Ford's Theatre ( Opera House ).

.Baltimore Western District Pine Street
Old Western District Station House  2007

Pine Street Station Western Baltimore Police


.Baltimore's Western Police District house
.
Baltimore's Western District, before Pine Street.

Baltimore's Southwestern District Station house
200 South Calhoun Street ( Southwest corner of Pratt Street )
Substations  listed in 1948 -
Washington Boulevard and Letitis  Avenue
& Old Frederick Road and North Bend.
    ( The substation at Frederick and North Bend looked much like the one at Liberty Hgts and Rogers )

..
       When it was built, Baltimore's Southwestern District was built, it was the City's largest stationhouse. 45  Patrolmen worked out of the District in the 1870's, and the station had stables complete with station and jail wagons.
    W
..Southwestern Police StationCalhoun Street
Southernwestern Police station house








.Baltimore's Southwestern Police Stationhouse
                  Calhoun street '

.Southwestern Police Station Baltimore

Southern District Station House
26 East Ostend Street
   Replaced about 30 years ago, the old Southern District building is used as offices today, and the building is in excellent condition. Southern District covered the areas south of Pratt Street in the past  ,much like it does today. The boundary went east to the water, and areas included Camden Station, the B&O, Hanover and Cross Street Markets and many of Baltimore's steamboat lines. By 1888, there were complaints the District had gotten too large, with 117 men to handle the area, 99 of them Patrolmen.
Substation listed in 1948
1st and B&O RR -   ( Brooklyn )

..

.Southern District Baltimore





.Southern District Police Station Baltimore
......Southern Police Station house 2007

.

An old image of the Southern District SubStation in Brooklyn.



In 1909, Police Justices listed were.........
.............................................................................................
Eastern District...Bath and Bethel Streets
Southern District ....Ostend and Patapsco
Northwestern District....Penna and Lambert Streets
Northeast District.....Ashland and Durham Streets
Northern Distrist........Cedar and 2nd Streets
Western District....Pine and Lexington Streets
Central District.........Sararoga and Charles Streets
Southwestern District.......Calhoun and Pratt Streets


Thanks to B.Brown - of  BPD for Historical help !

Kilduff's now has 3 servers and 3 domain names :

http://www.kilduffs.com/
http://www.kilduffs.net/
http://www.kilduffs.org/
   


This page was last updated -2017

Kilduffs - On the Web since 2002